Research Institute for Advancement of Living Standards (RENGO-REALS)
Rengo Research Institute for Advancement of Living Standards (RENGO-RIALS) started in December 1987 as a think-tank for working people and in 1988 established as an incorporated foundation under the joint jurisdiction of government agencies/ministries: namely, Economic Planning Agency (now Cabinet Office), Ministry of International Trade and Industry (now Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry), Ministry of Health and Welfare and Ministry of Labour (now combined into Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare).
RENGO-RIALS researches wide range of fields in such economy, industry, social services and labour issues to achieve healthy economic growth, stabilization of employment and the improvement of living standards of workers and their families.
Organization & Operations
RENGO-RIALS, started in December, 1987, was established as a foundation in December, 1988, under joint oversight of four government agency/ministries: namely, Economic Planning Agency (now Cabinet Office), Ministry of International Trade and Industry (now Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry), Ministry of Health and Welfare and Ministry of Labour (now combined into Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare). The status continues to this day.
The institute's governing bodies including the Board of Directors and the Council are composed of persons of learning and experience and officers from RENGO Headquarters and RENGO's member organizations. The managing officers and research staff at the institute are loaned from RENGO, its member organizations, and government ministries with oversight responsibilities.
Separate study committees are organized on individual study/research themes: In addition to the research staff within the institute, committee members are selected from among expert researchers in respective fields of study and officers of RENGO and RENGO's member organizations.
[Organizational and Operational Structure]
- Nobuaki KOGA, President
- Ichiro FUJIMOTO, Director General
- Nobuyuki SHINTANI, Managing Director and General Secretary
- Research on the impact of spread of IoT and AI technology on labor.
- Research Group on Universal Provision of Social Services.
- Research on improvement of work condition of traffic workers and public transport.
- Research on Corporate Governance and Role of Trade Unions.
- Research on participation of trade unions on worker's career formation.
- An inquiry into the structures and the activities of Japanese industry-wide federations of trade unions.
- The Questionnaire Survey on Work and Life of Workers.
（Short-Term Survey of Workers in Japan）